Sunday, April 27, 2014

Portland

We went to Portland the last part of March to hang with Chris while he had a conference there.  
It was really fun to go to Portland (since I and the kids have never been there.)


It is a little joke of mine---where ever I go it rains.  I never see the orange dot in the sky but I get a lot of liquid sunshine.
We had plan on tandem biking and a few other outdoor things while in Portland but as you see it was pouring rain and we had to change our plans.    
The first day we went to Powell Book Store and was there for a long time looking at books.  
These store was awesome.  Any book you were looking for was there and had at least a couple of versions of it.  The Pride and Prejudice section was three bookshelves long.  We also hung in the hotel, swimming, ate at restaurants and had a Jamba Juice (my kids are hooked)  

The next day it was still raining so we went to the OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry).  It is a couple of cool exhibits.

Okay, this is how smelly Henry's farts are--they glow!!!!
(You can tell what age my children are!!!)


We went on a tour of the SS-581--the last non-nuclear, fast attack submarine.  
I decided I could never live on a submarine but I really enjoyed the tour.


There was an exhibit on skating called Tony Hawk/Rad Science.      
It was really fun because it was totally interactive.  





Next we went into the Turbine area.  That was the kids favorite place.
Thomas spent a good while making different cup thingy's fly.  It was interesting how cutting the cup in  different ways made it flew better or worse.   


Lizzy liked the twirly thing.  
Henry hanged because he wasn't feeling good. 



After the OMSI, we had to ride the tram (picture below).  
The clouds parted during this time and we could see downtown Portland.  
The kids enjoyed it. We basically rode up it and then took the next tram down.




Thomas thought this sign was really funny!!!!



We had to go to VooDoo donuts.  
The original VooDoo Doughnut place there was a long line every time we went there (and since donuts are not my thing I felt it wasn't worth the hour and a half wait).  So finally, we decided to go to the VooDoo donuts on the other side of the bridge and it was a 5 minute wait. Were they as good as everyone said they were?  I guess.  I am not a doughnut person so I cannot give a good opinion.  They did have weird choices.  Lizzy picked a bubblegum flavor doughnut, there were M&M, Thomas had an Oreo one, VooDoo Doll with Cherries inside it.  I had a sugar one and Henry had a plain Maple Bar.          




We finally meet up with Chris and walked along the waterfront trail for a little while.  


Even when it wasn't raining the children were getting wet (with the encouragement of their mother!!!!)

1 comment: